I believe that taking on the role of an educator is one of the two most important roles a person can assume – the other role being that of a parent. The role of an educator demands that one be compassionate, devoted, and principled. It is my desire as an educator to provide my students with the best possible guidance, inspiration, and education to help each and every one of them become to their fullest potential. The following
five principles are standards of ethical behavior and conduct that I believe to be key to the ethical accomplishment of these goals.
Principle 1: Nurture and promote the academic, psychological, physical, and social potential of each student to his or her fullest.
- I will promote the growth of all students by establishing and maintaining high expectations.
- I will acknowledge and support the dignity and worth of all students.
- I will protect and support the physical and psychological safety of all students.
- I will respect and maintain the privacy of my students; I shall not disclose student information, unless the disclosure serves a professional purpose or is required by law.
Principle 2: Each child needs and deserves a secure, caring, and inspiring environment in which to blossom and flourish.
- I will promote the growth of all students by establishing and maintaining a secure, caring, and inspiring classroom.
- I will strive to meet the individual needs of each student and ensure their access to meaningful and inclusive experiences.
- I will advocate for the conditions and resources that will enhance and promote the growth of my students.
- I will utilize assessments that provide intelligible and meaningful data, and utilize the information to promote student success.
Principle 3: Collaboration with families, colleagues, and community members is an important vehicle for positive change in the lives of our children.
- I will encourage and support colleagues to develop and maintain high standards.
- I will act collegially with those providing my students with services.
- I will respect and maintain the privacy of the families with whom I work.
- I will respect the culture, values, beliefs, and wishes of the families with whom I work, acknowledging that their diversity is a meaningful and important part of who they are.
- I will encourage and support the active and meaningful involvement of student family members.
Principle 4: Professional knowledge is key to student success.
- I will maintain a high level of professional competence and assure that my students receive a relevant, meaningful, and inclusive 21st century education.
- I will seek the most recent information on subject matter, student needs, and approaches to providing, to promote the success of my students.
- I will consciously continue to grow and improve myself as a professional.
Principle 5: Seek to maintain the highest level of professionalism.
- I will acknowledge the obligation of trust and respect my position places on me.
- I will recognize that I am a confidant, mentor, and advocate for my students.
- I will be continually aware of my mission, values, and ethics and I will practice the art of teaching appropriately.